Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pa' pa' pa' Italianos


Chipilo.

Town of Italians. Town in Mexico. Streets lined with cheese shops and white people with Italian soccer jerseys. They speak Bennetto, a mixture of Spanish and Italian! 

How cool is that?

I love finding little places like this tucked away in corners of the world. Apparently the Italians came to Puebla circa WWII, settled in Chipilo and pretty much only breed with each other. 

I stayed with my cousin and his soon to be wife at their apartment in Chipilo, beautiful views of the volcano surrounded us and the warmth that can only be felt with the realization that long lost family is together once again. 

It is strange how you can actually feel the blood connection sometimes with relatives, that is how it is with them, even though it has been 7 years, I feel connected and at home here. 

My cousin's fiance is adorable, sweet, and I can see how much she loves my cousin. I see them constantly gazing at each other with looks of adoration... I feel slightly envious...okay not slightly...I'm really fucking jealous...I want to feel that way again so badly, I want to feel sure. I want to feel excited about a wedding dress or a cake or even a honeymoon. 

My cousin's fiance said that when she lost her job, she was worried about telling my cousin, after all they had a wedding and a baby coming up! Instead, he stayed cool, he supported her, he said they would work on things together, and they are doing just that.

Julian would do that, he would help me, he would do anything for me. I have a great guy, why can't I just accept that? Am I just scared of settling down? I honestly used to say that I was never getting married...are some people just not made for it? I feel like Carrie on Sex and the City when she breaks out in hives after putting on that wedding dress. Am I missing the bride gene????

On a side note, the tamales in Chipilo are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment