My aunt told me that she was looking at my pictures one day (a few months back) and her friend/coworker passed by and saw them.
This is the conversation to the best of my knowledge from what she told me:
Alejandro: Who is that?
My Aunt: My niece, she is coming to visit Puebla in a few months.
Alejandro: She's pretty. Where does she live?
My Aunt: In the US, but her pictures are from Germany.
Alejandro: Hm. I used to live in Germany. Recommend that we be friends on Facebook so I can look at her pictures.
My Aunt: Okay....
So the next thing I know (back in March or April-I don't remember) I get a suggestion from my Aunt to become friends with this Alejandro guy. I had no idea who he was but I saw my aunt wanted us to be friends so I figured..hmm..he knows my aunt and he lives in Puebla...he must be someone I know, distant relative, perhaps? So I added him.
I didn't really even look at his page, I didn't recognize him, so I sort of forgot about it.
That is until I was in Puebla, sitting in my aunt's room with her as she chatted on Facebook with random people.
My Aunt: Oh Mon, I forgot, this guy Alejandro wanted to meet you!
Me: Who? What?
My Aunt: Remember, I recommended you to be friends with him on Facebook. He speaks German too, and he is good looking, he works with me. He saw your pictures and he thought you were pretty. I wanted to introduce you to each other, but with all the wedding stuff, I forgot!
Me: Eh Tia, you remember I'm engaged, right?
My Aunt: Yes, but it doesn't hurt to just say hi, does it? Oh look he's online! I'm going to write him.
I'm standing by, watching her type to him and he isn't very quick to respond. We begin to stalk his page, looking at pictures, checking out his wall...
Me: He's good looking.
My Aunt: He is! But he doesn't have many pictures with girls, do you think he's gay?
Me: Haha, um, I don't know him but I don't think so.
My Aunt: He isn't responding very quickly.
Me: Let me try.
I proceed to type questions in German and he begins to quickly respond. We chat about living in Germany, and about Mexico, about traveling, and soon I find myself typing "winking" emoticons. Why am I doing that online-flirty thing? I don't even know this guy.
Then out of nowhere, he asks me if I would like to meet him....
Without thinking, I type yes.
Suddenly my stomach feels sick. What did I just agree to? I am agreeing to meet some guy I don't know, who expressed interest in meeting me because he thinks I'm good looking...
This is a little thing I like to call...digging my own grave.
Maybe we can all meet in downtown, my aunt will be there, my mom too, no pressure, just practicing a little German...a language I feel more comfortable speaking that Spanish...sad but true.
The next thing I know, he is communicating with my aunt, making plans to meet not in downtown, but in Cholula where I am headed tomorrow to hang out with my other cousin and his girlfriend. Doesn't seem too bad except it will be at night, at a bar, with alcohol.
Deeper have I just dug my own grave.
My aunt waxes on about him and his good looks, his good job, his education.
Then, at dinner, hours before meeting him...he calls.
My stomach feels sick again. Why am I nervous?
His voice is flirtatious and charismatic.
I can't eat anymore. I'm eating a Chile en Nogada which is fantastic, and I can't bring myself to finish it. I realize this is mostly due to the fact that my stomach does not travel well, never has, never will. However, something about his voice has set me off.
| Amazing Chile en Nogada, stuffed with beef, fruit, cheese, and topped with a nut sauce, and pomegranate seeds. |
I'm sure it will all be fine. I'll speak some German, say hi, I'm sure he'll leave early. No big deal.
Right?
No comments:
Post a Comment