Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Poblanos

I am going to take a break from talking about Alejandro for a little while. Don't fret, I'll still fill you in on the months that followed but for now I have a few things to say about the city of Puebla. Puebla is unique. It is a lovely place to live and I admire it in so many ways. However, there is something to be said about the typical Poblano, and it isn't kind. Poblanos have a reputation. A reputation I was warned about, but didn't really heed until I moved here. The typical Poblano cares about money and power. It's not really a place for self reflection. Alejandro initially liked me because I didn't care about that scene, or maybe because I was oblivious to it. Women here hope to land a man with money and hopefully a nice face.

Men care about money, looks, family background, and whether or not a woman's uterus is working.  I liked Alejandro initially as well because he said he wasn't so much like that, it seemed like he had this spiritual, introspective side. In the end, he seemed to be more like the typical Poblano, or perhaps he changed, or perhaps I didn't know him at all. Anyway enough about him...the point is that in Puebla, money is everything. People frequently ask me what kind of car I have and once they realize I'm a bit gypsy, they are often intrigued...this girl doesn't care that she doesn't own a car? Strange. They always want to investigate more...

What do you mean you don't know where you're living?!?!?! They think I'm rich because I have traveled. 

I enjoy making up stories. Sometimes I tell them crazy things...just to see their eyebrows raise. 

Poblanos also treat government officials like celebrities which I find weird. I don't think many people in the US give two shits about local government. Well, they wouldn't show up in US Weekly, let's just put it that way. 

The men here are spoiled. Their mothers treat them as if they were still children and their wives are expected to behave the same. They also wear extreme amounts of cologne. You can sniff them out before they even arrive. 

The government is hell bent on making Puebla a tourist city. When will they learn that since it lacks a beach that Americans will not really care if they put a giant ferris wheel (no where near downtown I might add)...they still won't show up...unless it is work or school related. Obviously a giant ferris wheel is way more important than let's say drainage for the city streets. When it rains, it looks like a brokendown Mexican Venice. 

The divide here between the rich and the poor is so obvious, it can be seen everywhere. It can be felt everywhere. You can cut the tension in some places with a knife. 

Men here often are attracted to me because they think I have an amazing personality (which I do ;) ) but it is mostly because I openly talk to people without any thought in my head of asking for a CV and a bank statement. I just talk. Because I'm in a foreign country. Because I want to practice my Spanish. Because I'm just used to doing that! They think we have a magical connection and then I can't seem to get rid of them. Or they think since I'm a gringa that I want to touch their tacos. Nope. It can be awkward talking to them. Some of them expect me to be impressed. Others want to introduce me to their mothers-which actually happened to me recently. It wasn't even a date, or at least I didn't think it was...but there she appeared at the restaurant...the mother...wanting to know everything about my background, childhood, job, etc...I'm surprised she didn't ask for the name of my gyno. 

Yes, the people of Puebla are odd but there are many good things to be said for them as well. They are good dressers, stylish, and have nice shoes. They are oftentimes quite religious, although many do not seem to be so taken with the idea of philanthropy-well maybe...if it means they can keep their money.

Okay, I'm making them sound horrible. Honestly, I do love them. Not because they are Poblanos, but because they are Mexicans. Mexicans have a certain je ne se quoi (did I spell that right?) that other people just don't have. There is a freedom in their mentality, a fun-don't give a shit behavior that other people just don't get. One of the reasons people stay in Mexico is because they realize there is a complete and total abandonment of rules. People don't really listen to rules. They are free. Once you get that, you realize that you can be free too. There is this wreckless abandon that you suddenly get and you find yourself having more fun than you've ever had in your life. There is little shame (well if you are a woman then that last one doesn't so much apply to you) but really, you can sense a change in behavior when you realize the Mexican mentality. They say don't be late? Fuck that. You are going to show up two hours later. They say they are installing cameras on the highway? Whatev. You are going to go 20 over. No one gives a shit. That my friends, can be such a beautiful thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment